If you have never canned food at home before check out THIS POST on some tips on getting started!
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 3h 45 min
- 5 Gallons tomatoes - (I prefer Romas)
- Carrots - 4 (if you don't have a food processor you can shred)
- Garlic - 8 cloves, minced
- Onions - 3 large
- Bell Peppers or Mix of Banana Peppers - 4
- Handful of Fresh Basil
- Fresh Oregano - 1/2 handful (can used dried too but don't over do it they get stronger as they sit)
- Dried Parsley - 2 Tablespoon, but fresh would be great
- Italian Seasoning - 3 Tables spoons
- Mushrooms - 16 oz, sliced
- Vinegar - 1/2 cup
- Honey - 1/2 cup
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Boil tomatoes until you see the first peel bust open (crack) about 2 minutes, then place the tomatoes in ice water.
- Peel and remove seeds if you want, I just squeeze some of mind out as I am peeling. This way they are not all in the sauce but I am not taking the time to cut them all out. But do what works for you. Then in batches blend in blender or food processor (I dice about 1/3 with a knife to just make a little thicker).
- In a BIG pot add tomatoes and the the following. It all needs to be VERY small, I put everything in my food processor for a minute before adding to the pot.
- Vegetables then all the herbs and spices sliced mushrooms, oil, vinegar, and honey.
- Bring to a light boil and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours -3 hours until it is the thickness you like.
- Then can in a water bath for 45 minutes or pressure can for 10 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure. You can also freeze.