I have seen on several other blogs, magazines, and on pinterest about making refried beans in the slow cooker. Everyone says a little something different so this is what I did and It was a HUGE hit with my family. I can see this being on the menu at least twice a month. My 5 Year old could not enough.
You know I try to to feed my family as little processed foods as possible. With this I KNOW what we are eating and with this recipe you are not getting any partially hydrogenated oil, added sugar, or other additives.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 8h 00 min
- Dried Pinto Beans - 1 1/2 cups (soaked overnight)
- Onion - 1 diced
- Chicken Broth - 32 oz (I actually used homemade broth not what is pictured)
- Garlic - 2 cloves (I used 2 cubes as pictures)
- Cilantro - 2 cubes
- Salsa (not pictured) - 1 cup
- House Seasoning to Taste - (salt, pepper and garlic) I use about 1 1/2 Tablespoons
- I put everything except the garlic, cilantro, and salsa in the slow cooker for about 8 hours. Then I drained the juice from the beans, but keep the juice you may want it to thin the beans. Then I added the garlic, cilantro, House seasoning (salt, pepper, and garlic), and salsa.
- Some people use a potato masher, but I prefer my beans to be really smooth so I used my submersion blender but a regular blender would also work. Until nice and smooth. You may need a little of our reserved juice to get it just the way you want it. I did add a little cheddar cheese to mine before serving.
- Then I freeze what we are not going to use right away by placing in freezer bags once it is completely cool and freezing flat.