Since my son is Gluten Free and the rest of us eat very little wheat and gluten at our house I thought I would try a little different take on this favorite.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 30 minutes
- Broccoli - 1 head (about 2 cups, I would use more next time) cut in bite sized pieces
- Rice - 1 cup (brown would be a great choice, better for you and would hold up better to the sauce)
- Water or Broth - 2 cups
- House Seasoning - (salt, pepper, and garlic) to taste
- Butter - 2 1/2 TBS (divided)
- Shredded Cheese - 2 cups (I used Colby jack)
- Milk - 1 cup
- Corn Starch - 1 TBS
- Cayenne Pepper - 1/2 tsp
- In one pan bring your water, 1/2 TBS of butter and little house seasoning to a boil. Add your rice and cover.
- While that cooks throw your broccoli in a another pan with a little water just till it turns bright green.
- Then drain the broccoli. I then used that same pan to make my cheese sauce. I started with 1/2 cup milk, and 2 TBS butter while they warmed, I mixed the cornstarch with the remaining milk.
- Once butter is melted add the cheese, house seasoning, and cayenne pepper.
- Once the cheese has melted add the cornstarch and milk mixture and stir till mixed well. Then add the cooked broccoli and rice and your are ready to serve.