My son says this tastes like CANDY... and there is NO ADDED SUGAR in mine, I LOVE IT!
My son LOVES pears and I can normally get all the free pears I can handle and since he also loves apple sauce I make pear sauce with most of them, but you could do this with apples instead of pears as well, and I actually did some with apples too this year. He LOVED this and with the strawberries it is so sweet I did not need any sugar or honey, apples sometimes need more sweet added.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 30 minutes
- Along with a way to process in a water bath, jars, and a food mill.
- So here we go, wash, and core your apple. I don't worry about peeling but do cut out any bad spots while I am coring and slicing.
- Then throw all your apple pieces in a large stock pot, also add about about 2 inches of water. I ended up with about 5 quarts in my pan so I added about 1/4 cup of lemon juice.
- Then cover the pot and let simmer on high for about 20 minutes.
- Once they cook they are soft but not totally mushy. Then add the apples and strawberry to your food milll and work the pulp through the mill. If you are adding sugar add it at this point or honey if you wish, bring the pot of sauce to a low boil.
- Once you have the sauce all ready just fill hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch of head space, and process in a water bath for 20 minutes for quarts and pints.
- If you don't can you can also freeze this once you run it through the food mill.