Beans are super cheap and easy. They can be a meal or a side, or added to soups or sauces. For this I use chicken broth I have made and froze and old ham bone from cooking a ham also stored in the freezer. So this Meal or side dish costs me less than $1, great for the budget.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 5h 00 min
- Cover the bottom of your crockpot with dry white beans, or you can soak over night either way will work (or any dry beans).
- Put 1/2 water and 1/2 chicken broth or veggie broth about 2-3 inches above the beans.
- Add a ham hock if you have one or diced up ham.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours Low 6-8 hours.
- Once about done cooking or once it is done add garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to your taste.
- DON'T salt till they are cooked or they will not get as soft.
- Taste and you may need to add more seasoning and salt before serving