This is a great fall recipe, when apples are in season. It is good for dessert or breakfast. This recipe makes a big batch so it is GREAT for company or taking somewhere. I often spilt the recipe into two pans and take half to a neighbor or friend.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 30 minutes
- All-Purpose Flour - 2 cups (I use gluten free)
- Rolled Oats - 2 cups (I use Gluten free)
- Ground Cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- Ground Nutmeg - 1/2 teaspoon
- Brown Sugar - 1 1/2 cups packed
- Butter - 1 1/2 cups (I usually melt 1 cup and mix it well to cut the butter a bit)
- Apples - 2 quarts peeled, cored and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. Cut butter into mixture until crumbly.
- Take half of the mixture and pat it into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Cover crumb mixture with apple slices, then sprinkle apple slices with remaining crumb mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes or until apples are tender.