Weight Watchers Friendly Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 60 minutes
- Yield : 5-6
- Unsalted Butter, divided - 4 tablespoons
- Brown Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Canned Pineapple slices (rings) in juice - about 7, reserve 1/4 cup juice
- Yellow Cake Mix - 1 cup
- Egg - 1 large
- Vanilla - 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 9-inch round, flameproof, aluminum pan over medium-low heat, we used a cast iron pan (make sure to cover entire pan bottom); sprinkle brown sugar over top. Place pineapple rings in a single layer in bottom of pan. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until pineapple caramelizes, flipping once, about 2 minutes per side; remove pan from heat. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter on stove top or in microwave. In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat egg with remaining melted butter.
- Add cake mix and reserved pineapple juice; combine well. Pour batter over pineapple; bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Allow cake to cool for about 15 to 20 minutes; when still warm, loosen sides with a knife and invert cake onto a serving plate. Slice into 10 pieces and serve.
****4 WeightWatcher Points Plus per slice****
- Once you have allowed the cake to cool for a few minutes carefully dump it upside down where you can see the yummy pineapple goodness.
- We also did a few in a muffin pan like this but preferred the the whole cake.