My Mom usually adds in some extra sauce (Ragu) along with the 2 cans tomato paste and 2 cups water. She doesn't have specific measurements but we like lots of sauce!
Next time I will add more tomato paste and water or a can of spaghetti sauce. It was good but I like mine a little more saucy. I have been using this recipe for 25 years. We love it.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 40 minutes
- Ground Chuck - 2 lbs.
- Sausage - 1lb. ( I use italian or even breakfast sausage)
- Chopped Onion - 1/2 cup
- Garlic - 1 clove , crushed
- Water - 2 cups (instead of water and tomato paste you can use two big jars of Ragu)
- Parsley Flakes - 1 t.
- Salt - 1 t.
- Pepper - 1/2 t.
- Lasagna - 1 lb.
- Cottage Cheese or Ricotta Cheese - 4 cups (2 pounds)
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese - 2 cups (8 ounces)
- Parmesan Cheese - 1/4 cup
- Eggs - 4
- Parsley Flakes - 1 T.
- Cook ground chuck ,sausage, onion and garlic untill meat is brown and onion is tender. Stir in water, tomato paste, parsley, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Cook lasagna according to instructions; drain well. Mix together cottage cheese or ricotta cheese, Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs and parsley for filling. In a 9x13 pan layer first meat sause, lasagna, cheese mixture, etc. End with the meat sause on top.
- Bake uncovered, at 350 for approximately 30-40 minutes or until bubbly. Allow Lasagna to stand about 10 minutes for easier cutting.
I have been using this recipe for 25 years. We love it.