Apple Butter #2
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 2h 20 min
- Apples - 4 lbs
- Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Sugar - (about 4 cups, see cooking instructions)
- Cinnamon - 1 3/4 teaspoons
- Ground Cloves - 1/2 teaspoon
- Allspice - 3/4 teaspoon
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Cut the apples. Do not peel first or core them.
- Put apples in large pot, add vinegar and water, cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cook until apples are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Put the puree through a food mill. Measure pulp and place it back in pot. Add 1/2 cup of sugar for each cup of apple pulp. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add a dash of salt, and the cinnamon, ground cloves, allspice, lemon rind and juice. You can taste and adjust the seasons.
- Cook uncovered in a large pot on medium low heat, stir almost constantly to prevent burning. Rub the bottom of the pot to make sure it doesn't stick. Cook until thick and smooth (about 1 to 2 hours). A small bit spooned onto a chilled (in the freezer) plate will be thick, not runny.
- Add to sterilized hot jars. Wipe the jars, add lids and process. I used a hot water bath for 10 minute to ensure a good seals.
- Makes a little more than 3 pint jars.