Amish White Bread
A friend gave me this recipe but it is from she only uses 1/4 cup sugar and I used 1/2 cup of sugar and they were both good. This is a good bread that does not take hours to make.
- Warm Water - 2 cups
- White Sugar - 2 cups
- Active Dry Yeast - 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Salt - 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Vegetable Oil - 1/4 cup
- Bread Flour - 6 cups
- In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and oil into the yeast. Then mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Knead for 3 minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two greased loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.