I am all about getting fresh local fruits and vegetables for FREE and canning or freezing them for my family to enjoy all year long. My son LOVES applesauce.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 30 minutes
- Lemon Juice
- Sugar - if desire but not needed
- Along with a way to process in a water bath, jars, and a food mill.
- So here we go, wash, and core your apple. I don't worry about peeling but do cut out any bad spots
while I am coring and slicing.
- Then throw all your apple pieces in a large stock pot, also add about about 2 inches of water. I ended up with about 5 quarts in my pan so I added about 1/4 cup of lemon juice and and if you are adding sugar add it at this point or honey if you wish.
- Then cover the pot and let simmer on high for about 20 minutes.
- Once they cook they are soft but not totally mushy. Then add them to your food milll and work the pulp through the meal. I saved all my peels and extra pieces that would not go through the mill to make juice with.
- Once you have the sauce all ready just fill sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch of head space, and process in a water bath for 20 minutes for quarts and pints.
- If you don't can you can also freeze this once you run it through the food mill.