Macaroni & Tomatoes – The Ultimate Comfort Food
This dish is the Ultimate comfort dish for me. This is a dish I remember my Grandma making and I remember having my mother make this about every time I went home from college to take back with me. It is really simple and so delicious.
We really love this dish at my house so I make a BIG batch (so you may want to cut it in half), this is also a dish that I don't really use exact measurements for, so it turns out a bit different each time.
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 30 minutes
- Bacon - 1/2 - 3/4 lb
- Large Onion - 1, diced
- Garlic Cloves - 2-4, diced
- Diced or Crushed Tomatoes - 8 cups
- Pasta - 1 lb, cooked
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Salt to taste
- A Few Red Pepper Flakes - (optional)
- In a LARGE skillet saute onions and cut up bacon, some times I add a little olive oil so the onions won't stick, once the bacon is about half way cooked add the diced garlic. Once the bacon is crispy take the bacon and onions out of the pan but LEAVE The bacon grease. I know it is not healthy, I know you think you can take some of it out but DON'T.
- Cook the pasta as the package directs and in the skillet you cooked the bacon and onions, bring your tomatoes up to a very light boil. Season with salt, pepper, garlic, and red pepper, but go easy on the salt until you add the bacon back. Once the pasta is cooked and drained and the tomatoes have simmered for about 20 minutes add the bacon and onions back to the tomatoes for another 5 minutes. Then add the pasta to the sauce and it sit for 5-10 minutes.