Canning Crushed Tomatoes
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 60 minutes
- Tomatoes - (you will need about 2 3/4 pounds per quart of canned crushed tomatoes)
- Bottle Lemon Juice or Citric Acid
- Once you have Peeled tomatoes like this, crush tomatoes with a potato masher or pulse in your food processor until they are chopped to the constancy you like.
- Then heat the tomatoes in a pan, bring to a light boil for 5 minutes.
- In a Hot jar add 1 Tablespoon of bottled lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid and 1/2 teaspoon of salt for Pints, and 2 Tablespoons of Lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon citric acid and 1 teaspoon of salt for quarts. Then add you tomatoes leaving 1/2 inch head space. Remove any air bubbles. Wipe Rim clean and place lids on the jars.
- Process in water bath for 35 for pints and 45 minutes for quarts. Or process in a pressure canner for 10 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.