I am not a huge fan of homemade pickles but my Son LOVES them and eats a pint a week, so I make pickles. This recipe is what I have made the past couple years and it is my favorite so far. The pickles don't get as mushy as other recipes I have used.
- Prep Time : 5 minutes
- Cook Time : 10 minutes
- Cucumbers - 3 1/2 pounds of small to medium (the smaller the better for me)
- Water - 2 cups
- Vinegar - 1 cup
- Ball Kosher Dill Pickle Mix - 1/4 cup (this is the ONLY mix I like)
- Fresh Dill Weed
- Cayenne Pepper - 1 per jar
- Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled and cut in half per pint
- Wide Mouth Quart or Pint Jars with Lids and Rings
- While you heat your jars wash and cut your cucumbers into spears, I only half some or leave the smallest whole, depending on the size. The bigger the pieces the crunchier they will be in the end.
- In a pan heat to a boil the water, vinegar and pickle mix.
- In your warm clean jars place 1 small piece of dill weed about 3 inches long, 1 pepper, and 2 garlic cloves in the bottom of your jar then PACK your cucumbers in AS TIGHTLY as you can.
- Once you can fit nothing else in the jar fill the jar with the hot liquid leaving at least 1/2 inch of head space at the top of your jar, and put the lids and rings on the jars.
- Process in a WATER BATH for 5 mins for pints, 7 for quarts.