At my house we have these Cheesy Grits about 3-5 times a week for breakfast. My son LOVES grits and I like giving him a hot breakfast before heading to school. We LOVED Trader Joe’s Stone Ground grits but they no longer make them but we have found a local stone ground variety that we like almost as well. But you can use the quick cooking grits as well just follow the instructions on the package to how much water you will need and how long to cook.
Breakfast Cheesy Grits
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 30 minutes
- Grits (prepared per the package)
- Salt And Butter In The Pan And To Taste
- Egg - 1 per 2 serving
- Diced Or Shredded Cheddar Cheese - 1/2 cup per 2 servings
- Cream Or Milk - 1-2 Tablespoons per 2 servings
- Prepare the grits as they package instructs, stone ground cook for about 20 minutes while quick cook in about 5 and each will call for a little different amounts of water etc.
- Once they are ALMOST cooked I add the cheese and stir until it is melted. Then take the cream or milk and the egg(s) and whisk together until a little frothy. And add SLOWLY to the cheese grits while stirring continuously so you will not get clumps of egg in the grits. My son does no like eggs at all so this way I am able to get some protein into him before school.
- Stir the grits for another minute or 2, check to see if you need anymore salt and I usually add a little pepper then serve them hot.
- If you make them this way they are so creamy.
TIP: ALWAYS add a little butter and salt to the water before adding the grits, you will be much happier with the end result. ALSO stirring grits is the key to having them lump free. Stir a lot when you first put them into the boiling water and then every couple minutes stir again.